Premier Health Care
Reduced re-hospitalization rates and medication errors while improving quality measures with SigmaCare’s full EHR platform.
In 2009, Premier Health Care, an affiliate of Beaumont Health System including six licensed facilities with just over 1,000 beds, faced increasing pressures to enhance financial performance while providing comprehensive resident care. In particular, its manual month-end chart review and changeover presented numerous workflow challenges. As such, the organization decided to implement an electronic health record system (EHR) to
- help automate processes;
- improve efficiency through clinical decision support; and
- reduce overtime expenses related to manual month-end chart review and changeover.
The SigmaCare Solution
Premier Health Care selected SigmaCare as its EHR vendor due to the company’s singular focus on long-term and post-acute care and ability to automate the complete clinical workflow. The system offered full EHR functionality, including dashboards, census management, computerized physician order entry (CPOE), electronic medication administration records and electronic treatment administration records (eMAR/TAR), accidents and incidents tracking, progress notes, 24-hour report and integrated financial modules.
Premier Health Care leveraged a phased implementation approach over two years, and SigmaCare provided a five-person implementation team to facilitate the transition with individuals dedicated to specific tasks such as managing system configuration or monitoring the patient census.
Initially, SigmaCare led EHR training through a traditional classroom approach, but shifted to a blended eLearning style, spread across eight weeks, based on lessons learned from the six go-lives. This allowed users to gain hands-on experience at their own pace and helped non-computer savvy staff get better acclimated to the technology.
As a result of implementing the SigmaCare EHR and accessing real-time data, Premier Health Care has achieved: improved overall care quality, clinical decision support and data collection and analysis.
- Reduced readmissions through robust clinical decision support: Premier Health Care uses SigmaCare to drive better clinical decision support for improved care delivery. Leveraging the EHR dashboard to monitor key clinical indicators has resulted in a significant drop in 30-day re-hospitalizations.
- Analytics-driven charting: By switching from mobile hand-held devices to convenient wall kiosks, Premier Health Care used SigmaCare’s advanced clinical decision support at the point of care and empowered real-time analytics to identify gaps in charting and care prior to shift end.
- Real-time quality reporting: Staff can review minimum data set (MDS) assessments against key quality measures and identify coding errors or missing information in real time instead of waiting for data compilation.\
- Medication orders improvement: The SigmaCare EHR's bi-directional interface with the pharmacy provided timely feedback and alerts for medication orders and helped Premier Health Care address issues like order legibility, more concise orders and the resource-consuming month-end changeover.
- Faster data collection and analysis: With the SigmaCare EHR, Premier Health Care has enhanced documentation workflow and virtually eliminated paper records; nursing staff can now complete MDS files five to six days sooner, improving MDS and activities of daily living (ADL) scores.
“We’ve been able to significantly improve our quality scores just by paying attention to data in a live analysis versus waiting three months for the numbers to come out.” - Robert Flowers, RN, EHR System Administrator