Wauconda Realized Immediate Operational Efficiencies Through Improved Nursing Workflow Management
Overview of Facility
Wauconda Healthcare & Rehabilitation Centre, a skilled nursing facility in the greater Chicago area, went live with SigmaCare in January 2010. Wauconda uses the full electronic medical records (EMR) system including real-time dashboards, census management, computerized physician order entry (CPOE), administration records (eMAR/TAR), accidents & incidents tracking, progress notes, assessments, 24 hour report, minimum data set (MDS), care planning and rehab therapy charting.
Facility Best Practices
In order to drive operational efficiencies and improve quality of care, Wauconda utilizes SigmaCare’s real-time alerts and reporting tools, including the 24 hour report, to monitor nursing documentation, facility operations, and track clinical trending. For example, nursing supervisors utilize the dashboard to monitor completed and remaining tasks for each shift and adjust med-pass as needed. This has increased med-pass productivity allowing more time for resident care. Additionally, physicians have benefited from the ease and efficiency of progress note documentation, order review and sign-off. For example, pending orders are quickly communicated to the doctors reducing turnaround time. All of these improvements have resulted in better communication and improved patient care.
Wauconda has realized immediate operational efficiencies, improvements in communication and patient care, along with the following outcomes:
- Medication and treatment documentation time declined due to computerized entry and scheduling
- CNA documentation improved 99% by using point of care documentation tools
- Workplace environment improved due to decline in paper-based tasks
- Documentation quality improved due to ease of entering and accessing clinical data
- Clinical decision-making improved due to quick chart reviews with real-time data
- Communication among staff, physicians and families improved due to messaging feature
“Employees feel empowered and have adopted new leadership roles while using SigmaCare.” -Laura Zung, VP Special Projects
Published: February 24, 2011